Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Broken Trust

Have you ever been betrayed?  Webster defines betray eight different ways:

be·tray
  • to deliver or expose to an enemy by treachery or disloyalty: Benedict Arnold betrayed his country.
  • to be unfaithful in guarding, maintaining, or fulfilling: to betray a trust.
  • to disappoint the hopes or expectations of; be disloyal to: to betray one's friends.
  • to reveal or disclose in violation of confidence: to betray a secret.
  • to reveal unconsciously (something one would preferably conceal): Her nervousness betrays her insecurity.
  • to show or exhibit; reveal; disclose: an unfeeling remark that betrays his lack of concern.
  • to deceive, misguide, or corrupt: a young lawyer betrayed by political ambitions into irreparable folly.
  • to seduce and desert.

In my lifetime, I’ve experienced almost all of the different ways that one can be betrayed.  And, I have been the betrayer.  I’ve betrayed trust, I’ve betrayed my friends (sometimes with a simple few words of gossip), I’ve betrayed secrets, I’ve shown lack of concern for some and I’ve deceived and misguided others . . .

Just recently, I was betrayed by someone that I love.  I have struggled with an unforgiving and judging heart because of this betrayal.  I have tried to “fix” the situation, especially in my heart, but cannot seem to come to any real peace over this. 

Until today . . .   This morning, while reading my daily devotional, “Jesus Calling,” I was reminded, once again, that I need to learn to live above my circumstances.  Above my circumstances, I wondered?  As I sat quietly, I realized that what this means is that sometimes we need to get right with God, then take a God’s-eye view of our situation.   I pictured myself, hovering above and objectively and lovingly looking at my betrayer through God’s eyes.

What I realized when I focused on God, not on my hurt, is that God may be using this situation to bring us all closer to Him.  I also realized that it is not my problem to judge, but only to forgive and allow the Father to work through the situation.  Once I’ve forgiven, only then can I be forgiven.  So I asked for forgiveness for my hardened heart and my anger.

Corrie Ten Boom, a Christian woman who survived a Nazi concentration camp during the Holocaust, said, “Forgiveness is to set a prisoner free, and to realize the prisoner was you.”  So, I forgave.  I thanked God for opening my eyes and my heart.  I thanked him (in advance) for bringing this person closer to Him.  And, guess what?  The heaviness in my heart was lifted!  And, I knew that I was forgiven.

Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.                          Luke 6:37 (NIV)

"And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."    Mark 11:25 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come with me and let's journey together...

Every woman's faith journey is different. I hope to share the twists and turns I've experienced in my journey and help women to realize that, although at times we experience pain and confusion in our lives, there really is a map out there, God's Word. If we follow His word, it doesn't assure us that our journey will be any less difficult, but that we can rest in the Peace of knowing that our journey has already been fully mapped out. God knows where we are every moment of the day. He knows our last steps and our next steps. He knows our purpose.

God is our refuge and our strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. so we will not fear, even if earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea. Psalm 46:1-2