Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ghosts in Church

One of my first memories of knowing God was at Sacred Heart Catholic School and first grade.  I have great memories of walking across the playground each morning from the school to the church basement for our milk break.  For a little girl who really didn’t like plain milk, the second, oh so yummy choice of chocolate made each day a little brighter.  But, before we could get that chocolate milk, we needed to bring our milk money to school.  My mom would tie up our dimes and nickels into the corner of one of my dad’s clean white handkerchiefs.  Some of this change was for the milk, and the rest was for the collection plate at our morning church service.  The handkerchief, once knotted, resembled a little white ghost.  As I was a great entertainer even back then, I put on a play for all the other little girls with my little ghost “booooing” and “wooooing” and flying all around our little veil-covered heads.  The show ended very abruptly as Sr. Mary Ann Putchelli placed a firm hand on my shoulder, took away my little Casper and moved me into the boys section.  Boys and girls were separated back then (not sure what the nuns thought a group of first grade boys and girls were going to do during church!) but the embarrassment of having to sit by said boys was excruciating.  My face, bright red, (I was a blusher back then) was even redder as Sr. Mary Ann watched me very closely to make sure that I wasn’t going to start a new show for the boys.

Oh the many times that I’ve been stopped abruptly in my life and reminded that “now is not the time for this.”  I can be over zealous and under cautious as I entertain and laugh my way through the day.  And I am constantly reminded as I read, journal and pray that I need to be still and be present in order to hear my God’s voice.  It is only in the present that I will experience His Holy Presence.

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46.10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come with me and let's journey together...

Every woman's faith journey is different. I hope to share the twists and turns I've experienced in my journey and help women to realize that, although at times we experience pain and confusion in our lives, there really is a map out there, God's Word. If we follow His word, it doesn't assure us that our journey will be any less difficult, but that we can rest in the Peace of knowing that our journey has already been fully mapped out. God knows where we are every moment of the day. He knows our last steps and our next steps. He knows our purpose.

God is our refuge and our strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. so we will not fear, even if earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea. Psalm 46:1-2