Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Starting the Journey

The very first time that I really truly believed in Jesus Christ as my savior was in eighth grade.  My English/homeroom teacher, Mr. Putbrese, required our class to read “Run Nicky Run,” a book about a New York City gang member who finds God and turns his life around.  Today it would be completely out of the question of whether a Christian book like this could be required reading in a public school.  And perhaps it was a big stretch from the recommended reading list for public schools in the 1970s.  I believe that Mr. Putbrese had very strong convictions about his faith and was willing to stretch the boundaries of recommended reading for his faith.  With his strong convictions, he was able to bring a very real and loving God and the precious son he sacrificed, Jesus, into the lives of this group of thirteen-year-old boys and girls. 

Flash forward 40 years.  I still have my copy of “Run Nicky Run.”  The back pages are filled with my doodling (which I’m still famous for, at least in my own mind) of cool looking crosses, a finger pointing straight up with the words “one way” written nearby, and in reference to something even better than Coke,  “Jesus Christ, He’s the Real Thing!”  From time to time, I re-read this book and remember the impact it had on my faith back then and still has on my faith today.  Tears still come to my eyes as I read about Nicky, a cold blooded murderer and leader of the toughest street gang in New York, as he drops to his knees, tears dripping down his face and declares his faith in our Lord.

Soon after I finished this book 40 years ago, I too found myself on my knees declaring my belief in Jesus Christ who was crucified for our sins.  This began my faith journey.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come with me and let's journey together...

Every woman's faith journey is different. I hope to share the twists and turns I've experienced in my journey and help women to realize that, although at times we experience pain and confusion in our lives, there really is a map out there, God's Word. If we follow His word, it doesn't assure us that our journey will be any less difficult, but that we can rest in the Peace of knowing that our journey has already been fully mapped out. God knows where we are every moment of the day. He knows our last steps and our next steps. He knows our purpose.

God is our refuge and our strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. so we will not fear, even if earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea. Psalm 46:1-2