Monday, March 28, 2011

Remembering


The other night I had a dream about my dad.  In the dream, my sister and I were walking in what seemed to be a crowded fair.  There were people everywhere, not really pushing and shoving, but definitely in each other’s personal space.  As we walked, we passed by a man who looked somewhat familiar.  In a few short seconds, we looked at each other in surprise.  That familiar face belonged to our dad!  We turned and quickly caught up with him, hugging him with tears streaming down our faces.  “Dad, Dad, Dad,” we cried.  We were so happy to see him again.

I know that a dream is simply a dream.  And, oftentimes, telling someone else your dreams is kind of pointless.  It’s a dream, right?

But, this dream made me yearn for my dad more than ever. 

He passed away on May 12, 2006.  Each of us in the family has dealt with the grief in very different ways.  My mom of course, his soulmate for over 50 years, has had the hardest time.  My sisters and I miss him in very different ways as we all had a different relationship with him.  But our grief is somehow the same as we all remember my dad as the rock of our family.  The one, when we went through various life challenges, who was always there for us, always the calm, cool, wise man who helped us to see the simplicity and real truth in any situation.  He had a wonderful sense of humor and many mornings we woke up to hear him singing a silly song that he could make up for any occasion.  There were days when this wake up call would annoy us – we weren’t all morning people, after all - but in my memory, these mornings symbolized the happiest of times with the happiest of men.

Not only was he a great dad, he was also a wonderful grandpa.  He held a special place in his heart for each of his grandchildren and truly enjoyed the freedom of retirement that offered him quality time to spend with each and every one.  I remember the time he took my two little boys on a camping trip.  The three of them (with the help of my mom) packed the boat with camping equipment, coolers of food and games.  Waving goodbye to grandma, they set off on their adventure.  My dad drove in circles around the lake for over an hour, helping my boys to believe that they were taking a very long trip to an exciting place.  Eventually, he motored to the campground which was only a short distance from their home.  They unpacked, set up their tent, played games, built a campfire and enjoyed an outdoor picnic.  The next morning, they headed for home.  This type of adventure - the creativity, the ability he had to make us believe in great things - that was the hallmark of my dad.

During the past several years of my dad’s life, he attended the Demontriville Jesuit Retreat House in Lake Elmo, MN annually.  This silent retreat began on Thursday night and lasted through Sunday night.  My dad had always been a good Christian man, but during these years, he became deeply close to God.  I’m thankful that he had this time and that he knew exactly where he was going before he passed on.

I picture him now, sitting near Jesus, telling stories, sharing a silly song and a joke.  I see him, walking the streets of gold, whistling and smiling.  I see him welcoming each newcomer to heaven with a generous and loving hug.

We love you, Dad and know that we will be with you again.



 1 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.”                                              John 14:1-4

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”                                                                                      Revelations 21.3

If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, THOU SHALT BE SAVED.
Romans 10:9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come with me and let's journey together...

Every woman's faith journey is different. I hope to share the twists and turns I've experienced in my journey and help women to realize that, although at times we experience pain and confusion in our lives, there really is a map out there, God's Word. If we follow His word, it doesn't assure us that our journey will be any less difficult, but that we can rest in the Peace of knowing that our journey has already been fully mapped out. God knows where we are every moment of the day. He knows our last steps and our next steps. He knows our purpose.

God is our refuge and our strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. so we will not fear, even if earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea. Psalm 46:1-2