Wednesday, March 9, 2011

One Way

I am directionally challenged.  When I go into a restroom at a big arena, I enter from the right, and as I leave, I take another right.  My journey ends once I’ve completely circled the arena, wondering, “How did I get here?” until I finally find my section.  Finding my seat (“row 22, seat 4, or was it row 4, seat 22?”), is another challenge.

The signs were there.  The section numbers are clearly posted.  With my mind racing on many things at once, I ignored the signs and kept walking.

I’ve been lost many times when driving.  Again, I seem to drive aimlessly, circling my destination, unsure if where I am is where I really want to be.  Many years ago, while driving my “Peewee” aged son to a hockey game, I got lost.  We drove out into the country, circled our destination (I think) and the time got later and later.  Finally my son crawled into the back seat, began dressing for the game, silently sniffing and holding back tears.  I knew we would be late.  He knew we would be late.
 
Again, the signs were clearly posted.  I ignored the signs and insisted, “I’m sure it’s right up ahead.”

We arrived at the arena just in time for the third and last period of the game.  My son, now 22, has forgiven me; however, he declared right then and there, “From now on, you don’t drive to my games!” 

My faith journey has been much the same.  A series of directionally challenged movements, leading me toward God, away from God, and circling God as my mind races on so many different things. 

Now we all know that God hasn’t moved.  He is always there, close by, watching, listening, waiting.  He waits for us to follow His signs, follow His directions, follow His will, knowing that we will come to our destination if only we quiet our minds and LISTEN.

Everyone’s faith journey is different, but we all have the same goal, right?  Some may head straight for that goal, never twisting, never turning, and never looking back.  Unfortunately, I suspect that the majority of our faith journeys are less mapped out.  Many twists and turns, fits and starts, fast forward, reverse and even times of being completely lost.  The signs were there, clearly posted in God’s word.  There is ONE WAY and only ONE WAY.
 
Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me." John 14.6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come with me and let's journey together...

Every woman's faith journey is different. I hope to share the twists and turns I've experienced in my journey and help women to realize that, although at times we experience pain and confusion in our lives, there really is a map out there, God's Word. If we follow His word, it doesn't assure us that our journey will be any less difficult, but that we can rest in the Peace of knowing that our journey has already been fully mapped out. God knows where we are every moment of the day. He knows our last steps and our next steps. He knows our purpose.

God is our refuge and our strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. so we will not fear, even if earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea. Psalm 46:1-2