Friday, March 11, 2011

Locked Out

I just spent a whole hour standing in my garage and wandering around the outside of my house in the snow and in my pajama bottoms, sweatshirt and vest, and my husband's size 10 Sorrel boots.
 
I woke up this morning early, really early, 4:30 or so.  As I lay in bed and thought about my day, I asked God to help me with my blog today.  “Put something really good in my mind and heart, Lord,” I prayed, “Something people will relate to and like to read.”  Very shortly, I would learn that our Lord has a wonderful sense of humor.

I got up, read my daily devotion, wrote in my journal, and drank a cup of tea.  Then I realized how very tired I was.  Really?  It was only 5:30 in the morning!  I know some people thrive on this kind of schedule and this kind of morning, but, today I decided to go back to bed.  I slept until 8:30, woke up refreshed, looked outside and saw the sun shining through my bay window.
 
The view from my bay window is awesome.  I have a bit of a bird sanctuary in my back yard with several different types of feeders, currently sitting empty.  “Well, it’s such a beautiful day, I’m sure my birds would appreciate some fresh food!”  So, I put on a vest over my pjs, slip on my husband’s very large Sorrels, and trot outside to fill the feeders.  That duty complete, I climb rather sluggishly up the stairs (big heavy boots, remember) and “OH NO!” the door is locked.  In fact all of my doors are locked!  And, my cell phone is in the house on the charger.  But, confidently, I say a quick prayer, knowing that this little emergency will be short-lived.

No worries, we always keep a key in a secret place.  I won’t say where just in case there’s a robber out there reading this blog, but suffice it to say, a person needs to get down on her stomach and reach way under something to find this key.  I get the key and hurry (as fast as I can in these big boots) back to the door.  Again, OH NO!  Someone (I’m suspecting one of my college age sons) has put the WRONG key in the secret hiding place.  Another prayer, this one comes out a little bit sarcastic, “Really, Lord, You’re Funny.  Now, come on, let’s get it together and help me get into my house!”

After searching the garage, walking the circumference of the house, checking doors, I realize that I’m really in trouble here.  And I’m cold!  I find a goofy looking hat and a pair of leather gloves in the back of my car (now you can picture how wonderful I looked at this point!) and start praying in earnest.
 
I think about breaking in, work on the door with a screwdriver from my husband’s toolbox, but no go.  I re-walk the circumference of the house, checking windows, wondering which one, when broken, will be the least expensive to fix.  Back to the deck door.  “Yes,” I think, “This is the one!  I can break one of the little window panes, reach in, unlock the door, and, no problem, call the window guys to fix just that one little pane of glass.  Then, God breaks into my thoughts.  “Check the deck and gazebo again.”  Up I go, looking all around.  All I see are the grill tools.  Hmmmmm.  Maybe I can use the spatula to jimmy the door (you know, just like on TV!  Although I really haven’t seen a robber using a spatula, but you get the picture.)  And, one, two, three, (and one hour later) I’m in!

I thank my very humorous Lord.  “Thank you for making sure that I had on the warm vest.” (Usually I sneak out fast in just my pajamas. “Thank you for the hat and mittens in the back seat.” “Thank you for not letting me panic and worry.” “Thank you for helping me find the break-in device.” “And, finally, Lord, thank you for giving me today’s blog!”
 
Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass … Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him … Psalm 37:4-7

1 comment:

Come with me and let's journey together...

Every woman's faith journey is different. I hope to share the twists and turns I've experienced in my journey and help women to realize that, although at times we experience pain and confusion in our lives, there really is a map out there, God's Word. If we follow His word, it doesn't assure us that our journey will be any less difficult, but that we can rest in the Peace of knowing that our journey has already been fully mapped out. God knows where we are every moment of the day. He knows our last steps and our next steps. He knows our purpose.

God is our refuge and our strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. so we will not fear, even if earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea. Psalm 46:1-2